Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Bean Quesadilla's

So I had many requests for this recipe after posting about it on facebook. Sorry it's taken so long to get around to posting about it but here it is. It is not finished and I will probably come back and edit this recipe a few more times since I've only made this once and it really was just something I pulled out of my head, but here's what I have right now.

I HIGHLY recommend getting a tortilla press if you ever want gfcf flour tortilla's. I've not tried the store bought ones but I have tried corn tortilla's (which can be bought at any store gfcf) and my family hates them. That started my search for a good homemade tortilla. I take no credit for the recipe found here. I made the rice flour version with brown rice flour. The only change is I used sorghum flour instead of chickpea because I do not like the taste of bean flours in my food. I prefer to get my beans in other ways :). Follow her recipe for the tortilla's you will need for the quesadilla's.

For the filling:
1 can fat free refried beans (check labels as not all are gfcf but I don't remember which brand I used...maybe Old El Paso?)
1 cup of prepared dried beans
1 cup of prepared brown rice
1/2 to 1 cup frozen corn kernels, heated
1/2 large onion, chopped

Taco Seasoning:
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

I like to cook the onion with the rice while it's cooking as I don't care for raw onion but you don't have to make it that way. When preparing the rice, add in the taco seasoning mix for flavor. (Side note: the taco seasoning mix can be added to browned meat with 1/2 cup water and simmered down to make excellent taco meat filling that tastes just like taco seasoning packets at the store but without all the chemicals and preservatives) Combine in a large bowl the rice, corn, black beans and refried beans. Mix well enough so the refried beans can act like the glue that cheese would be if making traditional quesadilla's. Fill tortilla's with some bean mixture and heat on skillet at medium heat until heated through and the tortilla is slightly crispy on both sides. Serve with whatever condiments your family likes such as salsa and guacamole. My little monkey ate these up so fast and loved having the extra filling for lunch the next day. My carnivorous husband could have sworn there was meat in these too which there isn't and I love that I can make him a hearty veggie meal he LOVES!

No comments:

Post a Comment