Monday, November 1, 2010

Veggie Stir Fry

I've been playing around with vegetarian dishes lately. We've cut back on meat since it's quite expensive and well, not exactly the healthiest thing you can eat. It has it's place in my family's diet I'm just not convinced it's place is a daily spot on the dinner table. My husband, however, is a carnivore of carnivore's and could eat meat at every meal of every day! Finding veggie meals that he genuinely enjoys is no easy task but after this stir fry, he was licking his plate clean! Score 1 for momma Fox!

olive oil (or sesame oil for a more Asian flavor, I just didn't have any)
4-5 carrots, peeled and sliced
2 leeks, chopped (greenish white parts only)
2-3 broccoli crowns cut into florets (yeah, my family LOVES us some broccoli)
2 cups uncooked brown rice
5 1/4 cups water
1/2 Tablespoon better than bouillon (veggie for a truly veggie dish, I used beef flavor and spend a little extra and get organic, the ingredients are way better)

Sauce
1/4 cup honey (raw, local is the best)
1/4 cup gluten free soy sauce (you could also use Bragg's amino's instead which I will try next time...never had it but I've been told it tastes exactly like soy sauce)
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (you could use 1-2 cloves garlic added into the veggies while stir frying too but I was lazy when I made it)
1-2 teaspoons cornstarch (depending on how thick you want your sauce)

Cook the brown rice in the water with the bouillon added (you may need to adjust the water amount based on how your brand of rice cooks). While the rice is cooking, use just enough olive oil to stir fry all the veggies (broccoli, carrots and leeks) until just crisp tender and perfect. In a small bowl combine honey, soy sauce, ginger,garlic powder and cornstarch. You can adjust spices to your liking at this point. Add sauce to stir fried veggies and heat until thickened. Serve veggies over brown rice. My kids and husband ate this stir fry up really fast and asked for more! It is amazing. You've got to try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment