Monday, June 13, 2011

Yellow Rice

I've tried to make a yellow rice similar to the Vigo brand mix I used to buy in the store (until I looked at the ingredient list). It's never worked out and my beloved husband adores that stuff. Well, tonight I got it right! Praise the Lord! Here's the fruit of my labor.

2 T olive oil
1 small to medium onion
1 bell pepper (I used 1/2 red, 1/2 green)
3 cloves garlic
2 c. brown rice
1 1/2 t. turmeric
1 t. cumin
1/4 t. cayenne pepper
5 c. broth (or water and bouillon)--but use the amount needed based on your brand of rice
1 chicken breast
salt to taste

Heat up the oil in a pot. Chop the onion, garlic and peppers (I use my food processor for this step) and add to oil. Saute until onions are translucent. Add in the brown rice and toast the rice about 5 minutes. Add in turmeric, cumin and cayenne pepper coating the rice. Add broth (or water and bouillon which is how I make it) and bring to simmer. Cover and cook until broth is absorbed. While the rice is cooking, boil a chicken breast. When cooked through, remove from water and shred with two forks. After rice is done, mix in shredded chicken and salt to taste. Serve and enjoy! You can also use beef or beans with this too or use it in taco's or enchiladas or burritos. It's very verstaile.

No comments:

Post a Comment