Monday, September 12, 2011

Non traditional Red beans and Rice

So without onions, peppers and garlic I wasn't sure how exactly to use red beans for red beans and rice, but I had some on hand and wanted to give it a go. What I mixed up came out really delicious and is something I will definitely be making again!

1 pound dried red beans, soaked overnight
1 1/2 t. paprika
1/2 t. cumin
1/2 t. dried cilantro leaves
1/2 t. dried oregano
1 t. dried basil
1/2 pound ground turkey, browned
3 bay leaves
3 carrots, peeled and sliced
1-2 stalks celery, cleaned and sliced (I used one but I'm not a huge celery fan)
water
salt to taste
cooked brown rice, enough to feed your family

Put the soaked beans in a stock pot and cover with water. Add all the ingredients except salt and rice. Bring to a boil, then turn down and simmer for a few hours until the beans are good and tender. Watch the water level. I had to add a little here and there to keep them hydrated. After the beans are completely tender, let boil until the water thickens and add salt to taste. Serve over brown rice and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment