Friday, February 12, 2010

Welcome

Hi and welcome to my blog. I've thought about blogging for a few months now and finally decided to stop thinking and start doing. I wanted to start this blog to document my family's journey on a gluten free/casein free (gfcf) and low soy diet. It's an expensive diet and we live on a single income but God has granted us wisdom in how to make this diet cheap and fun! I want to share all my ideas, recipes and even some tidbits about the changes my whole family is experiencing for the positive on this diet. Just some brief background, no I do not have a child on the autism spectrum which is why most people are on this diet. My oldest is 2 1/2 and my youngest is about to be 1. My oldest son was tested for gluten and casein sensitivity at 2 years old after constant battles with yeast, extremely sensitive skin that was always broken out, many digestive problems and a few characteristics that are commonly seen in autistic children though he never did display enough characteristics to even come close to receiving a diagnosis. Well, lab work came back and he was very sensitive to casein (no surprise though given I had to remove this from my diet for a time while nursing him) and off the charts sensitive to gluten (totally did NOT see that coming). We went gfcf and decided low soy would be best given the tendency for people with difficult digesting casein to react to the protein in soy if used too much. It was quite overwhelming to say the least at first but with the strength of God and much research and time, things have settled down and I'm having a great time experimenting with fun, delicious, and cheap gfcf cooking and baked goods. I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment